Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fostering Motherhood


I have come to realize how important it is to foster good qualities in our children, even ones that many take for granted with all the opportunities in the world today. Yes, I have a degree and I could be out there working and we could have more material things, but it would never replace what my kids are learning with me at home with them. Daughters learn how to become good mothers by watching their moms. I would never want to miss the chance to teach my kids the things they need to know, share my own values, and take the little moments to pull them aside and teach them something they can only learn from me. I am fostering some of these skills now in my foster daughter too and realize the blessings she will receive from our family that she might not have ever known otherwise...or that her birth parent(s) couldn't provide. It's a rare gift I can give her. I was watching her play with the baby in our family, Adam...he is really fun and accommodating....letting her play "house" with him....and he is her "baby" and I have to say living babies are much more fun than dolls anyhow.....she really wanted to help me today by assisting Adam with his lunch. He loved the attention, of course!

Heidi

No comments: