Monday, March 31, 2008

Do you see what I see?


Last year, about this time of the year, I gave a quick art lesson to Tyler, after I bought an art kit JUST FOR HIM. I wanted to encourage his tendency to draw. However, I wanted to focus on developing this talent. Yearly, I am asked for my boys to participate in art shows. So, I thought I could enter contests after they develop these artistic interests a bit more. I also learned that it is therapeudic for kids who are non-verbal to draw what they see in their environment and use it as a tool to express themselves, as Tyler is already limited in that area. It goes along with play therapy techniques, so I showed him how to draw what he sees. First, he drew what he saw in the sky. Then, he obsessed on drawing people, or classmates. Now, he is drawing vehicles. Last week, it was "hummers" and this week, it is cop cars. LOL He is getting really good at it too. I can actually see what he is seeing or showing me.

Heidi

1 comment:

Amelia said...

You should scan a few of his various pieces of art for us to see! This is a great way for him to express himself, whether he becomes a great artist or not. You're a terrific mom.

Love you!!