Saturday, August 2, 2008

Summer Doldrums


Summer vacation is here. June went by so fast, full of fun activities and field trips. July was summer school and outdoor play at home. August is here. It's hot. They don't want to play outdoors and adults don't want to suffer the heat either...we want to enjoy the cool air inside the home. There is only so many activities at home. The kids are bored beyond tears and we have entered the phase I call "summer doldrums". Even with new toys and craft ideas, they just don't want to do it. They are restless and school doesn't start for another two weeks. I hear whinying and fighting all day long. They are turning into TV junkies and just for mom to stay sane she allows them to watch it as apart of their down time to keep them out of her hair. During the school year, they don't get much tv, so I let them indulge a little in the summer...but they weren't really interested in it until August came...cause they don't want to be outside in this unbearable heat!! Mom is literally grinning and bearing it and counting down the days that they go back to school and the wonderful routines begin again. Here's a picture of my bored couch potatoes!

Heidi

1 comment:

Heidi A. said...

:) I know what you mean!
My Mom has an article in the Ensign this month (Aug. 2008) p. 52. She submitted it 22 yrs. ago and it just got published! It's a nice read and gives mothers with young ones .... hope.

Bored kids is one of the hardest things! Maybe you could go to the library --- or somewhere else cool -- for a change of scenery and experience?

I enjoy your comments!

Hang-in-there!
Heidi (too)
http://singleparenting.blogspot.com
http://simplifyheartandhome.blogspot.com